Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Quilt in a Pet-Free Home. How about you?

While reading an advertisement from a quilt enthusiast who does professional quilting out of her home, I noticed the phrase, “I quilt in a pet-free environment.”

“Really?” I thought. I guess “it’s a good thing” as Martha Stewart would say. No pet hair or pet escapades must get in that quilter’s way. Hmmm, I wonder what that’s like?

After I thought about it a while longer, I concluded, “Well, I quilt in a ‘pet-free home, too. Doesn't everyone?”

For instance…
  • Pets stay free; no room or board is charged.
  • My pets are free to come and go as they please within my home, like my cat who is free to nap on my fleece baby blanket stash.
  • My dog is free to jump on my quilted bedspread and lie on her back with her feet in the air.
  • My cat is free to jump on my lap as I surf the net for quilting motifs, gadgets, sales, patterns and the like, arch her back to make sure it gets scratched, and then wag her tail like a windshield wiper in front of my face. Better yet, she’s free to walk across my desk and stop to groom herself right in front of my computer monitor.
  • My dog is free to curl up on the floor and keep me company as my sewing machine hums along.
  • My dog is free to give me “the paw” to tell me it’s time to go outside right when I’m in the middle of piecing a complex block.
  • My cat is free to watch my sewing machine as it automatically stitches out a computerized design, and my dog is free to come by and knock the sewing machine plug out of the wall with her plume-swishing tail and watch everything come to a completely dead stop.
  • My pets are free to make furry contributions to the lint and thread tails that already attach themselves to my clothes and jackets.
  • Best of all, my pets are free to celebrate with me when I finally finish a quilt project and complete one of my many “UFOs.”
So how about it? I quilt in a pet-free environment — do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment